This is my camera.

It’s a Canon Powershot A1000IS.

I bought this camera when I started blogging about Gunpla. That was March 17, 2009! Over 10 years ago!

Those were simpler times.

Over these last 10 plus years this camera is responsible for 99% of the images found on here.

The camera records images with 4 digits meaning the highest number will be 9999 before it resets. A quick look at the Image Library of this site shows four different 9999 pictures.

One from 2012/03/13. (Let’s play a game. Guess what kit these images are from.)

One from 2014/04/22.

One from 2015/09/04.

One from 2017/06/20.

The last image on the memory card is IMG_7733.

I say last because the camera fell.

You see, I often keep the camera inside the plastic tool case while I’m working on a kit. Usually that tool case sits atop the kit box. In this case, the tools were atop the RG Nu Gundam box which was on a chair pushed under the table.

I was asked to move the table so my partner could wipe the floor. I picked the table up and started to shift it to the right and heard a crash.

The tool case had gotten caught under the edge of the table and dragged off.

I wasn’t concerned because the camera was inside the tool case but when I looked at the camera…

The display had cracked!

Thinking things might be okay I turned it on.

Oh no!

I tested out whether I could still take pictures with it and that’s when I got image 7733.

This looks like the end Canon Powershot A1000IS era.

This camera has contributed approximately 47,733 images to Gaijin-Gunpla.com. That’s 4,773 pictures a year! That’s over 13 per each day of the year!

Thank you for your 10 years of service to this site and the Gunpla community.

1. Frankon says:

Mg Duel, Mg X2, Mg Red Warrior. And I have no idea… Rest in pieces (in salvage heaven) camera.

2. Robin says:

Ouch ouch ouch… I’ve been reading your posts since what feels like forever ago, to think this was the camera to capture it all…

3. SirDoctor says:

That’s a lot of mileage for one camera!

4. Casval Lofbrook says:

Good night, sweet prince.

5. Dan says:

That is a bummer Syd. You have done some great work with that camera. It is always a shame when you lose something that has been with you for years.

I hope you can find a new camera that will live up to the high expectations.

6. eternal says:

I am sorry for your loss.
    Please keep us updated if you bought another camera.

7. Evan says:

I’ve got an A1100 that’s been serving me for years. Those powershots are great. Good luck with the search for the replacement!

8. Paul Emical* says:

I hold my breath for a second there, upon reading the title! I thought the worst! Whew!

Now then, let’s see…
    2012/03/13 (first one): Duel Gundam Assault Shroud
    2014/04/22 (second): Crossbone X-2
    2015/09/04 (third): Amazing Red Warrior
    2017/06/20 (fourth): Barzam

Hope I did well with my homework… 😀

Also, farewell to your camera. It witnessed great deeds.

9. Alberto from Italy says:

When an object becomes essential to you and the need of changing it comes from an accident, well it is sad, really. Sorry for the loss, Syd: I guess another good camera ia awaiting to be used!

10. lupes says:

It’s a longshot for a lot of reasons, but ifixit does have a teardown guide you could use to take it apart and replacement screens are ~13$ on ebay if you wanted to fix it for the sentimental value. Definitely sorry to see such a trooper piece of equipment forced in to retirement.