It’s been some time since we’ve seen a new Thunderbolt kit in the High Grade (I’m distinctly not referring to the recolours) but look who just arrived.

That’s some very interesting artwork and indeed the RX-78AL Atlas Gundam looks to be a very interesting kit.

I’ll go through the box contents.

A runners

What’s this? No multi-coloured A runner? Yes, usually the A runner is the runner that contains some red and yellow parts but not this one. In fact, there’s no red on this kit all.

B runners

C runners

There’s all the yellow! And look at that pointy V-fin.

D runners

E runners

These look interesting.

This guy rocks two bull-pup rifles.

Lots of stickers, both foil and other.

Wait a minute. No poly-caps?

Maybe they wouldn’t be strong enough to allow the Atlas to do what its meant to do. I mean, look at this thing!

Markings!

I misread that the first time.

This page looks crazy.

I had thought I’d get to spend a nice relaxing evening at home.

And that’s what I’m gonna do.

The zen of gunpla…

1. rg/hg lover says:

this guy will take quite some space, and i missed reading that pit as well lol

2. Michael says:

Saw the Dengeky Hobby photos… so much stickers…

3. Dan says:

The kit looks really interesting. The stickers don’t bother me as I will paint those areas. But it is really nice to see the amount of yellow parts they provided. I am curious if the suit will be able to hold the massive pods and shield. I am expecting to add some floor polish to tighten up the joints.

Can’t wait for the next posts!

4. Josh says:

I really do not like the Atlas Gundam as an extension of Thunderbolt. The rounded design is interesting, but doesn’t really feel like it fits the Thunderbolt design ethos. With the over-engineered, gimmicky backpack, it feels more like a SEED side story than anything UC.

Hopefully still a good kit though, but my that’s a lot of stickers instead of plastic colors.

• Jangothebluefox says:

just in case you don’ know Full Armor Gundam was made for space combat. Atlas was made for atmospheric combat, in the air, on the ground, and in water. it needs a more streamlined design because it’s moving through air and water.

• Josh says:

I know the reasoning behind it. Still doesn’t have the same feel as the entire rest of the Thunderbolt design stable.

5. Evan says:

I like the design of the MS itself, but I’m not so crazy about the contraption it carries with it. Kind of reminds me of Zabanya, I like the suit but not the fence attached to it.

6. Wolfbane says:

When I first saw the Atlas Gundam, I was definitely thinking that this unit really sticks out like a sore thumb for an early UC mobile weapon. Really fits in better with late UC units like the Gun-EZ (though the weapon would easily fit in with the “Innovators” stuff in 00 Season 2).

To be honest though, when I think Atlas in mecha, it usually has a skull for a head, has a designation AS7-D and is associated with BattleTech (an iconic ‘Mech at that). Would be a fun kitbash to add the BattleTech refereces, including a nice FedCom color scheme. 😛