kit: 1/100 MG MSN-04 Sazabi Ver. Ka

1. Frankon says:

Looks great. Some minor mistakes (the shoulder S-01 decal not sticking to the kit) but a very solid build.
    The only thing i particularly dont like is that you didnt left the inside of the thrusters yellow or at least do some gradient work from red to yellow. Weapons look great. Minimal silvering.

Now if i could force myself to finish some kits (sadly the weather is really bad now)

2. harold says:

The Ver. Ka, with the silver parts and the funnels that look like pistons resemble a nice red Ferrari more than anything…

3. Barristan says:

Looks great, Syd. I’m curious, what was the “other change” you had mentioned wanting to make, but you weren’t sure if it would work? I was hoping you had magically found a way to fit the cockpit with Char inside the head.

I wanted to hide something in those big shoulders. When you open up the armour and expo the silver frame underneath I don’t really see what the purpose is for that. So I thought I would cut away doe of the frame and behind that silver subframe would be hiding missiles that could launch out from the shoulders. At least this way there might be some reason for the shoulders to open like they do. I still think I could do it but, alas, I ran out of time and wanted to get this guy finished before the next big kit rolled out.

• Frankon says:

If we go by late UC standard those shoulders would be heat vents. Now that i think about it the torso mega particle cannon would generate lots of heat but adding those vents to the shoulders and not the chest puzzles me.

4. Exia says:

hey syd,
    Sazabi looks fantastic and what color did u use for the black parts like a metallic or flat?

5. Chris says:

Hey Syd,

Did you paint any of the red body parts, or did you just finish with a topcoat?

6. Roar says:

Do you usually panel-line your kits? Or do you only meant not to panel line it in for this kit?

It depends how I feel about the kit. Sometimes panel lines are unnecessary but they do add something to the look if you want it.

7. Roar says:

I get what you mean, I regretted panel lining rg zeta gundam. However, I think sazabi ver ka would look good =)

8. Jarrett says:

How long did this take you, start to finish (including painting)?

I love the idea of painting up some of these kits but am daunted by the need to paint up so many individual pieces (I’m from the miniature/model hobby where it’s not really necessary to do that).

Hi Jarrett, It’s tough to determine how much time it actually took me because I was fiddling around with it for months and even took a break for a considerable period of time. I think if I were to do it all in one stretch it would take about a week.

• Jarrett says:

Thanks for replying Syd! Two more quick questions:

– Any tips or links/vids about painting with regards to moving parts? For example one thing that I found really vexing when I tried to paint my Sinanju Ver Ka was the inner frame knee joins were getting rubbed down to the bare plastic when I did any movement of them at all. The tolerances being pretty tight, I couldn’t see how paint would be able to stay on….

– what red paint did you use on this one (sorry if you answered this elsewhere)? It’s really nice.

For those kind of moving joints you can create a little space for yourself by using some finer sandpaper (1000 or so) and just sanding down the parts a little bit to create extra space for the paint. Topcoating will help protect it more. That said, once I’ve painted a kit I don’t tend to play with it much and don’t move the joints too often.

I used Mr. Hobby Gundam Red #3.