Gaijin Gunpla

A mind of moderate capacity which closely pursues one study must infallibly arrive at great proficiency in that study.
-from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

I returned home from the dojo Saturday afternoon to an empty house and so knew immediately how to take advantage of that situation; more modifications to the Steingeese. While most of the mods I planned to do have been completed there is one area I wanted to look at again and that was the legs. I wanted a second crack at them because I wasn’t satisfied with the first and for this I needed some extra parts.

Thanks, Bandai!

I’ve shown my previous attempts at the lower leg armor but now you get to follow along with me as I re-examine what I did and try something else.

This is what the normal side leg armor piece looks like.

The reason I want to modify this is because I want access to the ankle armor. My previous attempt ended up looking like so.

While that works it isn’t what I envisioned when I first took nippers to plastic. I was thinking more along the lines of this.

Scribing along that drawn line and then removing the plastic gives me this kind of shape.

That is closer but still doesn’t do it for me. So I tried for a third time.

That is much better and gives me access to that circular ankle joint while not removing too much plastic and showing too much frame. With the top of that ankle joint exposed I now need the bottom so first I’ll trim off a little corner of this white foot armor.

And then remove a bunch of plastic from the blue armor.

So how did that work out?

So what is the reason for wanting that ankle exposed? Well, it’s because I want to use more of the Tallgeese parts there.

I’m not looking to stick the whole Tallgeese ankle assembly there. I mostly want to use this circular ring piece.

And for that I should also use the little armor piece onto which the circular ring goes so I’ll just cut that out.

Even after cutting it off of the Tallgeese frame part I was left with too much plastic.

But that’s nothing my side-cutters and some sandpaper can’t fix.

Repeat for each circular ring.

The next question is how to get them onto the Stein’s ankle. Well, that was pretty easy actually. I used sections of the Tallgeese PC runner.

Cutting away a little of the outside of the runner and trimming it down I created a little peg.

Then I plugged that into the hole in the center of the ankle joint

Then did a quick test fit.

This was the look I was going for!

To attach the Tallgeese part to the Stein’s ankle I put cement in the underside of the small Tallgeese part and then placed it on the peg I stuck in the hole. This minimized the amount of cement I would get on the ankle armor.

There is still some cement excess but once it’s sanded and painted and then covered by the circular armor ring it won’t be noticeable.

With the leg mods finished I started to organize how the painting would go and there are a couple parts that will be painted much differently than the majority of the frame/armor. Like this piece.

This part belong to the back skirt and before painting this guy I masked off a section of it.

The painting for this part is finished but I’m not ready to show it yet. I also pulled off the torso armor parts in preparation for… well, not painting, but I’m not ready to reveal this yet either.

(I did paint the red tomahawk. Will show that soon.)

So I think I’m done modding the suit. Here’s some picks of what the frame looks like now (with the weapon arms included).


4 Responses so far.

  1. Josh says:

    Looking good Syd! Liking the circular rings in the feet! Cannot wait to see the pain scheme.

  2. Michael says:

    The FF Sinanju Fuel tanks fit it much more.

  3. ClayCannonII says:

    Cant wait to see the final project

  4. Zetaone71 says:

    Cant wait to see the final monster, um….I mean machine.

Leave a Reply