Gaijin Gunpla

“...nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose…
-from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

If you’ve been following Lupes’ blog you’ll see he is way ahead of me on his Sinanju Stein. Wayy far ahead. He is so far ahead that the light leaving his Stein won’t reach mine for at least a thousand years. Well, now that I’ve finished building the ReZEL Type C Defenser (final posts to come) and almost completed the RG Zeta Karaba I’ve got Gunpla time to devote to my Stein.

In my last post I talked about the work I was doing to the legs and skirt. Well, the skirt is pretty much done.


[disclaimer: final product may vary.]

But there is still much to be done with the legs starting with the piece that irritates me.


It’s not that the piece itself irritates me, I mean it looks all right, but it’s the design of that area that bothers me and I wrote about it in the review for the Stein. That little flap isn’t secure and comes unattached. So I decided I would do away with it altogether and in its place use these:

The large thrusters from the backpack which don’t have a home now that the Tallgeese thrusters are permanently attached there.

The construction of the rear leg flap thruster consists of these three pieces.


As it is it’s too long to incorporate the larger thrusters. That means I have to do away with some plastic so I cut it down.

And did the same to the part that holds the two thrusters.

Now I had something about the right size/length but just needed to play around with it to see how and if it would work.

The simplest approach is usually the best to start with and so I just placed the parts in the hollow on the back of the leg to see how it looked.

I could put them in this way but those thrusters extend out more than I would like, even though the angle is correct. I could also place them inside a little more.

This gets the top armor part to fit into its home but means the angle the thrusters stick out is kind of awkward to my eye.

I do, however, like the detail in the frame part that extends out of the back of the leg.

Ideally I would like the thrusters to come out at a downward angle while still allowing the armor part to close fully.


I had some thinking to do. After a lot of thought and concentration it became apparent to me that I wasn’t going to get what I wanted, however I could do what I thought was the next best thing and attempt with only one thruster.

This gives me the correct angle, the ability to close that armor flap, and also frees up space at the bottom of the leg for another modification I had been thinking about.

I left the Stein as it was for a day and came back the next evening determined to get at least the leg thruster modification completed. I rechecked my fits and angles and gaps…



Okay, first course of action; separate the part that connects that large thruster to the frame.

Now I’ll only be using these.


From there, I took my hobby knife to the pair of spare rear leg frame parts I had ordered from bandai and cut away the majority leaving some plastic jutting out at an angle.

Repeating that for the part for the other leg I then did some test fitting.

The angle of my initial cut wasn’t quite correct so I trimmed it down and then attacked it with cement.

While that was drying I went on to work on the modification for the back of the lower leg. One thing I noticed when I took off that flap was the amount of empty space on the bottom of the rear of the leg.

As much as I like seeing internals even that was too much open area for my tastes. To cover that up I turned to the very flap part that had irritated me from the beginning. I cut it.

The idea is to place that at the bottom of the leg so it protects the piston in the back of the foot.

A little extra thin cement and a steady hand is all it took.

Two days later I started reconstructing the legs using the pieces I had modified.


Looks good to me and best off all it is in proper alignment (as far as I can tell).

The other pieces?

They worked out fine, too.

Putting the leg back together I checked out the overall look.

Then put the entire bottom half of the kit together to see how the lines flowed.

Then put the entire kit together just because I couldn’t resist getting a sneak peak.

(Gai-Gun Jr. in the background on the phone with Baba, her Japanese grandmother. They are talking about what foods they like.)

And the kit so far.

Still lots of work to be done. I want to address the ankles which will involve more cutting and then if things look too open or not as I envisioned them I may scrap some parts of the design and start again. Then I have to do the head, some of the torso, probably more on the backpack to incorporate a couple of things, and probably the shield and weapons. Then I’ll have to think paint.

Yikes. What have I gotten myself into?

9 Responses so far.

  1. Seth says:

    awesome!!! you always seem to get your mods right, i’m envious 😉

  2. ClayCannonII says:

    Looks wonderful. Just needs the tallgeese crown

  3. Woodfish says:

    “Setting my time machine for first of June. Updating my list to recheck gaijin-gunpla.com, subdirectory FrankenStein. ETA 10,9,8,7…”

  4. lupes says:

    Looking great Syd!! I love what you’ve done with the back of the legs. I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with the rest of the kit.

  5. Hijrah says:

    I experimented with viiewng your site with my mobile phone and the format does not seem to be correct. Might want to check it out on WAP as well as it seems most mobile phone layouts are not really working with your web site.

Leave a Reply