I am happy to announce that I have completed the Heavy Arms Custom that I was commissioned to make. And I did it around the deadline.. well kinda. The client asked that I finish mid-March and I had every intention of getting it done by then but Mother Nature had other plans. Using spray cans I can only spray outside on clear days, on weekends. Well, the clear weekend days I had the last couple of weeks consisted of some beautiful sunshine and some record high winds. Nonetheless, I got it done.

As you can see I’ve redone the shoulders that caused me problems. What I did after sanding away most of the paint leaving the coral blue was to lay small strips of masking tape into the recesses and then repaint the blue. The recesses were then touched up by paintbrush. I simply sprayed a whole lot of the coral blue onto an extra runner, dipped my brush in it, and hand painted it on. I should have done it this way from the start.

Heavy Arms Custom is now on its way to its owner who hopefully will have it by the middle of next week. I am looking forward to hearing he received it. It’s sad to see it go after spending quality time with it, but I took some photographs to remember it by.

1. bast87 says:

Syd,i have a little tip.
    If you need to extract paint from your a spray can, just put a drinking straw at the nozzle and spray away (instead of spraying your paint to an extra runner), the paint will accumulate inside the straw and start dripping.
    this way you won’t waste too much paint.
    give it a try.

2. Josh says:

Looks good! That coral blue is such a nice color.

3. SavviMaple says:

Wow, that looks cool.

I only have the old 1/144 kit of it, modded it a bit but it is a cool Gundam design!

4. ClayCannonII says:

Can you list all the colors used?

5. busterbeam says:

wow i love this kit. great paint job. im sure the owner will be pleased. i would be.

6. David says:

it’s probably not the best idea (especially since i have asthma), but i paint indoors. i hang a “curtain” (old sheet) to block the paint, and open the window behind it wide (along with the every window in the house. the crosswind clears put the fumes.) it lets me paint whenever, and give each piece individual treatment, seeing how a technique works on a single piece first.

of course, my first try (without nearly as much planning) led to a blue toilet.
    and floor.
    and pants.

7. Rick says:

Looks Great! I love it.

8. Anon says:

No offense dude, but the shoulders aren’t well done. I don’t think the owner will really like it. I look at all your other works, and they are beautiful. This one just feels half assed.

9. Seiji says:

Hi sir,

Just wanted to ask, for the chest blue (which is the darker shade of blue) May I know what kind of blue you have used for it? I went to my local hobby shop and asked about this blue, but the guy wasn’t sure what blue to use. Is it possible if you can help me by telling me what kind of blue you used and which brand was it?

Thank you very much!

10. John says:

Uh, don’t you think those small, rectangular gray parts on the front of the feet should be white instead? I’m quite bothered by this for a long while now because everybody leaves those pieces white, and I don’t like it for some reason. I’m just basing in on its appearance on the OVA and the old 1/144 and 1/100 kits. Anyhow, good job, man.