When I first saw the 1/100 MG MSN-06S Sinanju Stein Ver. Ka at the Gunpla Expo I was excited because I adore the MG Sinanju Ver. Ka and any kit at that level will be fantastic. At that time I figured Bandai would just be remolding some armor and reuse the previous Sinanju frame design, but it turns out that isn’t quite correct. There’s a lot of new stuff about the Sinanju Stein, foremost being the frame and the fact it is made from poly-styrene just like the monster MG the Nu Gundam Ver Ka. So now I’m more interested in seeing how the Stein is different than the Ver Ka more than finding the similarities they share.

The box art is just like all the other Ver. ka kits and that’s what I like about them. Consistency in a brand is important and the Ver. Ka does it right.

Manual

As if the Stein didn’t look intimidating enough on the box cover here is the manual and he definitely looks imposing. Even in 2D he seems to tower over everything. The manual also contains what we’ve come to expect in Ver. Ka kits.

And of course, those Ver. Ka decals and their instructions.

But I just finished decaling a Ver. Ka kit!

Other written material thrown into the box:

Get a month from of BS’s Animax television station by redeeming this coupon.

Advertisement for the Gundam UC Bande Dessinee 8 Limited Edition with 1/100 Armed Armor DE.

Box Contents:

Just like his older red-haired brother Stein’s box comes packed.

The Ver Ka had smooth lines and gorgeous curves. The Stein takes that look and ‘digitalizes’ it, if you can imagine. Curves now become edges.

I already love this.

And one of the bigger, if not the biggest, difference between the two Sinanju is Stein’s hands. Completely different from its predecessor and identical to the Nu Gundam’s (though maybe smaller).

It’s 2pm now. I will be home in 3 and a half hours…

Categories: Sinanju Stein Ver Ka

1. now i cant make a decision between Sinanju and Stein.. Syd,, helppp

2. ClayCannonII says:

Technically it’s sinanju’s older brother, not the other way around

• Kager says:

I don’t think Syd meant it literally. The stein being a later released kit, made the Sinanju the “older” kit, and being the same design made them kits of the same family hence older brother kit.

• Zip says:

Actually, it IS the Sinanju, not a prototype of it. All the Sleeves did after stealing this MS was remodel the armor to match their aesthetic, thus the Red Sinanju came into being.

3. PoweredGM says:

Hey Syd. Did you have the misfortune of your old sinanju breaking the waist peg?
    I see this has spare inner frame parts. Looks like this kit can solve the old kit’s problem.
    Its also a handy purchase for the bazooka which would work great with the old Sinanju instead of people buying the new OVA version.

4. Ryan Edgar says:

But surely the Stein is basically the mass produced Sinanju? I do love that shield and the Nu Gundam esque paint scheme

5. NoobSauce says:

I guess this means that MG SF FB will not be getting done to it anytime soon. Hehe

6. neo says:

After you finish it, could you confirm if the bazooka works on the Sinanju? I saw some pics where it seems that they made a new handle for the Stein. I hope it still fit in the Sinanju’s hands.

It looks like the handle for the Bazooka has been redesigned to allow it to work with the tabs found on the new type of hands.

• PoweredGM says:

The bazooka runner has the old type handle.
        The new handle for the Stein hands in on a stein inner frame or weapon runner.

7. Bocalt says:

Wow I’m looking forward to learning about the changes, mostly if the new hands work out with this kit better than it did the Nu Gundam (wonder if they’ll use those for the upcoming MG Sinanju) even more considering the equivalent heavy weapons.

The hand design and the use of the little tab in the palm and the weapon handle works so well yet is so simple I am amazed it wasn’t done before. So far the Stein hasn’t disappointed and even highlights what Bandai did wrong with the Nu Ver Ka.

8. Bocalt says:

Gosh I see the waterslide sheet and I get shivers down my spine, I need help people, I cannot seem to handle waterslide decals:
    1) How much time do you leave them in water? Is the amount of time dependent on the size of the decal?

I can never seem to get that right, every single time its either too little and the decal won’t budge or break, or its too long it gets in place seems to hold and by the time I’ve put another one, the decal has disappeared 🙁 – tried some mark setter but it doesn’t seem to do any good or i’m using it wrong

2) What’s the best way to put them in place? I mean i follow the steps from the manual – got the tweezers, cotton buds,etc… but the cotton bud seems to dry the decal before it even gets to the position and if i try to wet it again it loses its grip (btw the “gundoom” waterslide decals weren’t that difficult)

Thanks for anyone who could give me advice on the proper way of doing it as I have a few waterslide decal sheets left…

When I decal I use tweezers to remove the decal from the water but I use a toothpick to slide the decal off the backing and to position it on the model. If it starts to get hard to move I just add a drop of water to the decal to get it moving again. Once I have the position I want it in I use tissue to remove most the water then re-position it if I need to before using cotton buds to get the last of the moisture. Then I leave the decal for a few hours to let it set and then I will come back to the kit later and put Mark Softer lightly over everything.