For myself, the best color scheme to be found on a Zaku II is that of the Tri-Stars Custom. The Black and Purple just look so good on this suit. When it was announced as a Limited Edition kit I knew I wanted it. And I got it. Of course, even with it being limited and ‘different’ from regular releases I still wanted to change things up.

Basically, this kit is a recolor of the 1/100 MG MS-06S Char’s Zaku II Ver. 2.0, a solid kit, but some stuff has been changed. Because the color separation is different than that of the Char’s instead of one big runner of red parts you get several smaller runners of purple and darker parts.

Now with more dudes.

And water-slide decals!

Those long white lines look challenging.

For the markings a small insert is included with the kit.

In that insert are instructions for building the Zaku II as a Tri-Star instead of a Char because some of the part designations are different.

So what am I doing differently. Well, to start I’m doing some painting to the backpack.

And some painting was done as well to the shield.

I’m also older and wiser, or maybe just older, but I’ve learned from my past experiences with these very small finger parts and for this build I kept one finger part on the runner while I attached the end of the finger.

I’ve also painted the pistons on the foot.

And the last thing I worked on changing was the head, specifically that thing sticking out the top. I thought I would give Bandai’s Builders Parts HD: MS Blade #01 a try.

These come with all types of blades and v fins for your Gundam kits.

First thing I had to do was choose a blade.

This one looks cool.

Because I wasn’t sure how I would go about color matching the blade with the Zaku head I figured it might be best to paint the blade and the head armor piece together. As I was unsure how this would look when accomplished I decided to use some spare heads I have lying around.

And what ended up happening? Well, the Dark Blue Tamiya color didn’t match the purplish color of the Zaku so instead what I opted to do was paint just the MS Blade in flat black and use Blu-Tac to hold it on the Zaku head part. You’ll see the end result once I get all these waterslide decals on. It’s taking a bit of time but that is mostly because of the MG Nu and because of the holidays.

Speaking of holidays, today is my last day at work for a week. I’m going to use that time to finish up this Zaku, paint the RG Zeta and MG Nu and tidy up my Gunpla Room which is quite an endeavor and may end up being an entry here. I’ve also got something else I want to work on during the break…

1/100 MG Strike Freedom Gundam Full Burst Mode!

What’s everyone else doing for the holidays?

Hope everyone had a great 2012 and can look forward to 2013!

1. Tony says:

Working, and on my days off, working… ok, so my days off I’m just dogsitting… trying to catch up on some games I hadn’t had time to finish while I was busy finishing college, hopefully will at least finish most of them before I find a real job. Gunpla-wise, gotta finish MG Wing Gundam Ver.Ka, then I’ll start the MG Epyon, and after that it’s time for RG Gundam MkII AEUG, and by then it’ll be MG Tallgeese time! Also, apparently I’m always online when you update this stuff lol.

2. ClayCannonII says:

I’m decaling my Nu and waiting for my sinanju/kshatriya package to come in.

3. spardin says:

building the Master Grade Infinite Justice Gundam
    i got for xmas i now have all the main gundams from
    gundam seed desteny except the Akatsuki Gundam Oowashi Pack / Shiranui Pack Full Set.
    any one built one of thesethere a lot of gold on it do the spure gates mess it up alot or are the cuts hidden?

4. Chopper Dave says:

Waiting on my MG Buster to arrive! Wanted to get the NU, but I just don’t quite have enough yet. But soon…yes…very soon.

5. Syberio says:

I think i’ll hop on my Banshee ver Ka ^^ and the when i receive them, i’ll build the Nu and a Zaku Shin Matsunaga 🙂

6. Yuri Barbosa Ordeste says:

Best Zaku, always’ve been my favorite. When I saw this as an exclusive I thought to be very odd, then I realized it was normal Zaku II with the black trinity colors, i.e. without the leg parts and backpack

7. zoidiect says:

working on my Byarlant :3

8. Kyle says:

Well I am building the MG Sazabi that I received for Christmas, while I wait for the Nu gundam to arrive. Other than that I am finally getting time to just do nothing. So I’m playing Halo 4 and just hanging out at home. Happy New Years!

9. Michael says:

Unfortunatley the package with MG Nu didn’t make it in time for New Year break (I’m ordering these to my office address, and the break is long in Russia – from Dec 29 till Jan 8), but I still have, a few RGs (Thanks Syd, for pointing me to Gentei Kits – I now have every RG kit out there) and an MG Wild Tiger.

10. Ryan says:

I’m putting together a new Aquarium for my fish. It’s taking up all my time and money right now, but if I have any spare money I plan on getting the MG Victory Gundam ver ka

11. Pedro says:

Whatever happened to your AGE-2 Dark Hound?

12. DemonDez says:

Bout to start my Rg Zeta & Rg Rx78-2… Still hv my Mg sinanju inside the box.. Lol

13. Brian says:

I just finished a majority of painting of my HGUC Rozen Zulu. I still have engravings to work on as a Neo Zeon Unicorn kit.

Working on Byarlant Custom too at the moment. When 2012 ends, take a break from Gunpla for a week and work on Dark Hound MG!

14. NoobSauce says:

I finished RG Freedom and RG Justice over the holidays. Still have decals to do on both and waiting on better weather to do topcoating. Any time spent not on gunpla was spent eating.

15. TimmyJ says:

I was gonna start my Nu Gundam, but that looked intimidating. Was gonna do my Extreme Blast Mode Destiny, but I want to paint that. I have a FA Unicorn but I also want to paint that. Now I don’t know what to do. Finish my HG 00 kits that are in trans-am mode because they are simple.

• Bocalt says:

Yup that’s exactly what you’ve got to do, I already find myself in that kind of solution, I then purchase a couple of good reviewed kit that weren’t in my priority list so as to get some more xp…

16. ClayCannonII says:

Are you going to get the 1/144 HGUC kit?

17. Mathai says:

Happy new year guys!

Syd, you have a ‘Gunpla room’? O.o
    I recently had to move all my stuff from the workstation shelves to a locked cupboard since my daughter has started walking and likes to pull things off shelves now, especially my built kits, lol.

What I’d like to do in 2013 is take that Shin Musha out of the box and finally build it 😀

18. Jeff says:

Received MG Aegis and Banshee, built them both(won’t decal Banshee because I think it would ruin the color scheme, and I’m waiting for a nice afternoon to decal Aegis). Purchased MG Nu Ver. Ka yesterday and I’m building it now.