[Tony had mailed me about a project he was working on. As he wasn’t finished it was a bit of a teaser but I asked him to let me know when he finished and, well, now he has. Tony, tell everyone about your project.]

I got into Gunpla probably around 2000 or so, soon after Gundam Wing came to Toonami. I don’t know when or how I got my first kit, or even what suit it was, but I would get a kit for my birthday or Christmas every so often. I’ve built maybe 5 or 6 kits, all HG. I drifted away from the hobby about 4-5 years ago, towards the end of high school. Recently we swapped furniture in my room and I found my kits sitting under my bed. I looked through them and found a half built HG Deathscythe Hell Custom (Endless Waltz version, Fighting Action! – It has a switchable torso). I then realized that I’d bought the kit when I was in Okinawa on spring break for karate training back in high school (Also bought the MG Wing Gundam Ver.Ka, which I’ve never been brave enough to build). So, with a new workspace created by new furniture, I ventured back into Gunpla!

Now, onto the kit – I realized why I’d stopped: I lost the stickers! As a less patient teenager, this was a game ender – how could I build a kit without the stickers?! But now, as a 22 year old grown up, I knew what to do – improvise! So I decided to go simple with this kit: 2 tone, red accents on flat black, fitting colors for the menacing suit of the God of Death. I used pretty much whatever paints I still had, so I started out with a flat black Testor’s marker. When that ran out (its been sitting for years, after all), I bought another one… but accidentally got acrylic… When I got tired of how that was looking, I bought a can of flat black spray, and I’ll never go back to any other paint method. As I mentioned, I lost the stickers, so all the color on the face was hand painted using a Gundam Marker and some cheap fluorescent paint put on with a toothpick for the eyes and chin. I lost one of the wing tip cover pieces, and didn’t like how the red wing tips looked anyway, so I left those off.

This isn’t the prettiest kit, but I like the look of it, and it serves as a nice reminder that you don’t have to be an expert builder to make a kit your own, and to have fun making something unique. I’d like to thank Syd and Gaijin Gunpla, as well as Gundam Beginner, Goodguydan, and others for having such great sites and helpful technique reminders that helped me get back into the hobby. I already have 2 new kits waiting to go (one of which is a RX-79/Zaku II twofer!) and hope to do some more custom painting, including one in my college’s colors (Blue and Gold, Go Flashes!).

1. Ben W says:

nicely done its a pretty nice color scheme

2. Mark says:

Nicely said! You don’t have to be an expert to do the things you like, this also reminds me to do what i like and not be too concerned about what other people think. Nice work by the way! 😀

3. Tony says:

Thanks guys, didn’t realize Syd had put this up yet until I did my usual random checking of the page and saw the comments. My first MG should be arriving tomorrow – Shining Gundam!

• ClayCannonII says:

That’s a great kit

• Tony says:

Awesome….. now I want it to show up faster. I’ve quick been test building the RX-79 I mentioned in my submission… all I can say is that older HGs (pre-HGUC old, so…. pretty dang old I guess) are really kinda meh kits. I’ve got an HG Alex and it’s BAD, just as a kit overall… Makes it really great that they’re re-doing a lot of the older kits as HG__ (fill in the blank for whatever universe – HGUC,HGFC, etc). Top tip for us all – whenever possible, get the newest version of a kit!

• Tony says:

Any advice for the MG Shining Clay? It just showed up and I’m looking through the packages and it’s already intimidating lol. I know for sure I’m gonna have to paint the gold on, since they molded the gold areas in yellow… And I’m gonna have to get the worlds tiniest phillips head screwdriver for the tiny screws.

• ClayCannonII says:

Build it the way you want. I just did an out of box build. I wanna get a new one and paint it better.

• Tony says:

I think I’m gonna keep it simple since its my first MG (10 runners… that’s like 2 HG kits… holy crap). The only extra work I already know I’m gonna do is paint the parts that are revealed in super mode gold, like I said, I don’t think I’d be ok with them just being yellow. This also seems like it might be a good kid for a gloss topcoat rather than flat/matte/whatever you want to call it. But in all seriousness, what do you do about those screws?

• ClayCannonII says:

Screw them in…. I don’t get your question. The screws add stability to the older kits

• Tony says:

I guess what I’m asking is if I’m gonna need to buy like a special kind of modeling screwdriver or if whatever smallest one I’ve got will do.

• ClayCannonII says:

Normal size works, its even told in the manual to NOT use a small screwdriver.

• Tony says:

Haha, so that’s what that picture was about… kinda vague without being able to read the japanese around it.

4. fury-s12 says:

nice, this was my first kit back in the day, after seeing an ep of wing on toonami then buying the dvds like a crazy guy haha, really like what you did adding the red, i rather like it, alot

5. TimmyJ says:

Love the green for the weapon.

• Tony says:

Thanks, its kind of funny you mention that. I don’t even know what my reasoning was for buying that paint, I just know its a set of Testor’s fluorescents that I bought mainly because they came with a free brush. There’s no green in the runners, so that was molded yellow, which was totally unacceptable… wait, maybe that’s why I bought that paint… Either way, I was really happy with the way it looked on the beam too. I also used that same green for the eyes, and used a toothpick to apply all of the color on the face (Gundam Marker for the black). I learned how to improvise so much with this kit!