It’s the Obon holidays here in Japan and for most everyone that means almost a complete week off of work and traveling back to one’s hometown to see family. As my wife’s family live on a tropical island 1000 kilometers south of Tokyo for me Obon means voyaging across the ocean for 25 hours just to get to where I’m going! Sure it’s a ridiculously long, and boring, journey but once you get there, it is all worth it. That is why, while you are reading this I’m on a boat!

My destination is the island of Chichijima (父島) which is the largest island of the Ogaswara chain (小笠原). And it’s paradise. Sure, right now I’m on a boat but soon I’ll be arriving.

Once there I can enjoy the unrivaled beauty of this place which just last year was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. So what will I do first? Well, I do intend to relax and take in the scenery.

But what I’ll be doing first is something like this.

Yes, my Swimming-With-Dolphins Ticket has already been booked. As soon as I get off this boat it looks like I’ll be right back on a boat

But after that I have no real plans which suits me just fine. It’s such a small island and I’ve been there many times so I have seen quite a lot of the scenery so perhaps I’ll just spend most of my time relaxing with my daughter on the beach owned by my parents-in-law.

Um.. yeah.

This of course means the site won’t see any Gunpla related posts for about a week but when I come back I’ll be ready to jump back into it. As for now…

I’m on a boat

Okay, maybe it’s not like that. My journey will have more vomiting.

Categories: Life in Japan

1. Yuri Barbosa Ordeste says:

If you didn’t had linked the Lonely Island MV I was going to, hahaha, nice post indeed, I hope you have a great time Syd, I sure am envious. I love nature, sea and great landscapes. Have a nice trip o/

2. Mike says:

Looks like one heck of a nice place to be, you and the family enjoy !

3. Zeon_Two_Six says:

Mind if I jam with ye, Syd? XD

[[TAKE A GOOD, HARD LOOK AT THE M*****F*****G BOAT!!!

4. ClayCannonII says:

Like a boss

5. GunplaFan says:

Hey Syd, I was just wondering if you’ve heard of the 1/120 Hi-Nu Gundoom. It’s from a Chinese Company, which might put a few people off, but it’s WAY more detailed then the 1/144 Hi-Nu Gundam from Bandai.

I’ve heard of it but don’t pay much attention. I don’t do bootlegs.

• Ryan says:

My friend got a bootleg MG Epyon while in thailand and we compared parts with my real MG Epyon, while the real is far better, the fake wasnt in anyway as bad as i expected, accually id say its excellent for a fake.

6. sonar says:

Haha fuck I was just about to post that clip too..! Take a good hard look

7. GunplaFan says:

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a HG 1/144 Exia Repair 1?

8. GunplaFan says:

Thanks. I’ve never made a custom before, so I need all of the help I can get.

• Ryan says:

Well as you can see from the pics what i did was cut sections of armor away and apply the scratches and paint for scoring, I dunno what you think but I think its worked well. Most importantly you gotta ensure it doesn’t damage the models functionality. Id like to hear your opinions on it 🙂

• GunplaFan says:

The part I’m worried about most is how I’m going to do the head. I’m afraid that I’ll mess up.

• Ryan says:

That was my biggest concern over making this kit aswell. What i did was i marked out the damaged area on the head and face with a gundam marker pen.

I studied the episode it appears in, still images and various artwork until i was happy with it.

I used a 1mm drill bit by hand to bore out a small hole in the face to insert the cable you can see under the red eye, that was a nerve racking moment as i feared id damage the face beyond repair if i made a mistake.

He are 2 images of my repair head next to the MG Exia repair’s head for you, i hope they are useful.

I keep on saying ill go back and work on the Exia Repair again as i know i can do a better job with some money now, do a better job of the red eye, i did try carving a eye socket from plastic and it wasnt terrible, but i couldnt make one small enough. I made that kit when i was broke and had nothing but time and a little black paint. I’ll keep it as it is because im proud of it.