[This Reader Submission was sent in by long-time reader and commenter who goes by the name Hypnos. He’s taken one of my favourite kits, the 1/144 HG Sinanju and used it as his airbrush training ground. Nicely done.]

I have been building gunpla since about a year and a half now and i always wanted to go beyond just building them, i wanted to detail them up, paint them, that´s why i started to view tutorials and other builders work to
gain confidence to do it. I started by only doing some panel lines and top coat, but when i finally got my hands on a compressor and an airbrush i decided to “level up”.

This is my first completely painted kit, is mainly airbrushed but i painted all the golden parts by hand.
My first thoughts when this model arrived was “WOW ! IT´S HUGE !!” and indeed it is, is a 1/144 scale that is almost as big as my 1/100 NG Astray Blue Frame Second L.

The detail is amazing, the articulations are awesome and is quite sturdy beside the sheer size of the backpack.
To be honest, i made a few mistakes with the painting, but it as you can see on the pics it worked out ok.

I started painting all the runners, but on one of the leg parts the airbrush “spited” a chunk of paint and got drenched with drops of paint, so i had to sand the part and paint it again.
For all the red runners i used a Mettalic red paint, but i used just a few coats to avoid getting the parts too glossy. besides those runners i used flat black and flat gunship gray for the rest of the parts, deep yellow also for the yellow runners.
As you can see on the pictures i painted all the trusters with chrome paint and all the golden detail with brass.

When i was finishing the model i wanted to detail the rifle, so i painted a few parts black and the scope lens green.

As i said before, this is my first painted kit, but i really enjoyed all the work. It took me 4 days to complete it, working 3 or 4 hours per day.
This build has gave me the courage and confidence to keep on working on my gunpla, and right now im starting a new kit, a 1/144 GM command, that im going to paint and do some modifications for the Sci fi contest on HLJ.
Hope you like this kit as much as i do !

Cheers from Uruguay !

1. Hypnos says:

Thank you syd for giving me the oportunity to show my work to the gunpla community around the world 😀

2. Dan says:

Hi Hypnos,

When you did the gold detailing what did you do to clean up any mistakes? And brand of gold paint did you use? I wanted to do some gold details on a kit but testors gold enamel paint has a strong greenish tint.

And that is excellent work for a first time kit. I have been wanting to start airbrushing instead of only using spray cans.

3. Hypnos says:

Dan, i used a toothpick to slowly remove the errors and sometimes the hobby knife, with extra caution to avoid scratching the base paint too much.

regarding the paint, i used testors model master enamel, but not golden, i used brass.
    the thing is that in my country hobby supplies are quite difficult to get since there are 2 or 3 shops specialized on hobbies, and they mostly have aircraft and tank paints. so when i went to buy the paints they only had brass,

4. fury-s12 says:

nicely detailed man, having just done a bunch of fine detail on the BB Senshi 001/2/3 Trio i know how hard and painstaking it can be, but also how cool and rewarding the outcome

5. Hypnos says:

yeah, its looking great along my other kits, and thanks to that sinanju i´m eager to start my new project for the sci fi contest 😀

6. Mathias says:

its really impressive what a little bit of paint can do to a kit^^ maybe its because im tired but when i just saw the photos without reading the text i thought this is the MG version!

7. c-bass says:

I think it’s easier to just let the gold paint gets messy a little bit, and then instead of picking it with toothpick you should just cover the messy gold paint using black gundam marker(just like panel lining it.
    It will be much tidier. ^_^

just my 2cents>

8. Simmy07 says:

Wokring on this build right now myself, but Im having a lot of trouble with the gold decals. Was just wondering if you think it would be any easier to just get a gold paint marker and just paint it myself?