So I found a good chunk of time to sit down and work on panel lines and stickers. In reality it was two chunks of time. The panel lining I got done in about an hour but it was the stickers that took up the majority of the time on this build. I knew it was going to take several hours so I decided to do it in one sitting while watching one of the greatest movies of all time, The Godfather.

First I’ll show some pics of the panel-lining I took while chugging my way through the many lines on this kit. Before taking the cap off the lining pen I disassembled the kit into several sections to make getting at all those pesky crevices easier.

The panel lines make a world of difference.

A day after the panel lining I sat down at the kitchen table after Gai-Gun Jr. was put to bed and pushed Play on the DVD player. The Godfather is a great film, almost without flaw, but I find myself less interested in watching film these days but instead listen to the dialogue. It’s the same with television while building Gunpla. The audio is enough for me to know what is happening.

Anyways, three hours later I was finished all the stickers. And here is the result.

It looks fantastic (I say in all humility). Allow me to show you some details.

I went with the non-Kira stickers because I thought they looked better.

Again I found out after the fact that all those little circles I panel lined are meant to have stickers over top of them. Getting them to line up perfectly takes some time and patience.

And don’t forget those magnificent wings.

yeah!

OH yeah!

Categories: Builds, Freedom Gundam

1. sea slugs says:

Is this topcoated? It looks great! Also, you opened the wings wrong.

I haven’t topcoated it yet as I’ve been waiting for better weather (which means maybe next year. eep!) It’s a plastic model kit, there is no ‘wrong’.

2. mykman83 says:

wow… is the only word appropriate for this RG!

3. Mark says:

Does the arms come off after you put them in?

4. exxecutor000 says:

impressive! yeah, it’s a bit let down when the rivet-stickers cover the circles after all the panel lining job. Alternatively, silver paint marker may do the job (or even left as it is), but it’s hard to resist using the nice-looking stickers given – guilty pleasure 😉

5. mykman83 says:

Hi Syd,

What’s next in line for RG release?…. hope it’s the Unicorn…

6. DemonDez says:

I just finish my RG Aile Strike and it’s really look fantastic. And my next kit will be MG Hi-Nu, but after reading your review about this RG Freedom. I think i will get this for my next.. next project ^^

7. fury-s12 says:

amazing that is all

8. Dan says:

Hi Syd,

Did you have to clean up any of the panel lines after using the marker? Like smuges or lining out the groves?

9. disco_spawn says:

I wasn’t completely sold on this RG release but now I’m in for sure!

10. c-bass says:

hello syd,
    i have been wandering around your site for a while now and this is my first time leaving coment. ^_^

i just finished this RG and I dont really like it, in my opinion this is just like a HG with inner frame.

i like the RG Aile Strike much much better, i like how the armor in the RG strike slides and exposes the inner frame. while this RG every armor pieces are fixed and unimpressive 🙁 (but the wings are sure magnificent).

11. Sinq says:

Hello. This is my first RG kit and I am wondering if the stickers are good even if I don’t put something on top of it. I am kinda worried since they looks easy to peel off.

yes, they are good. If you don’t handle them too much while putting them on they will stay on for a good length of time.

• Sinq says:

Thanks for the reply. Some of small stickers (and long stickers) not put on smooth surface kinda worries me a bit, but still awesome. Seeing it all panel lined and with added stickers made the build all worth it for a beginner like me.

12. Joon says:

Hey this looks amazing, kudos!
    Just a question, for the panel lines did you use a black or gray marker?
    I’m debating, because I didn’t want the panels to be too over bearing.
    But yours seem to be nicely done!

Hi Joon,

Thanks for the comment. I almost always use the grey panel line marker. I find it easier to clean up than the black one.

13. ClayCannonII says:

I’m getting this with my RG justice when it comes in

14. baka says:

Hey Syd! Great review on this kit. I just got mine a couple of months ago and had a question about the nub marks. I like to cut and sand but wondered if there are a ton of visible nub marks to clean up.

Bandai does a good job on the RG kits with the gate marks. The gates are actually really narrow so there aren’t really any unsightly gate marks visible.

15. Ben says:

Wait a sec where’s the review? and what happened to those zakus?

An astute observation, Ben. Yes, I failed to put up a review in a timely manner for this kit and in some ways I still regret that. It is a good kit and I am curious myself to see where it ranks among the 1/144 kits. Oddly enough, I somehow managed to have a second RG Freedom on my work table so I could, if the community wants it, build it again for the purpose of doing a review. The Char’s Zaku was completed some time ago.

I did lose some enthusiasm for the grunt Zaku as it is basically the same kit as the Char’s.

16. YongKang says:

Hey syd, I have a worry. If I topcoat it, does the shine of the metallic stikers come off?