I am (or was, until I happened to one day find myself with a full-fledged family) a Playstation fanboy. I picked up the original PS in order to play EA’s series of NHL games and ran that system into the ground. When the PS2 was announced it goes without saying I was a happy boy and my best friend and I even lined up hours early outside the local game store so we could be the first to pick up the Playstation 2 at 12:01 AM. We even found ourselves on the local news because of that. I played a lot of PS2 but when I seriously restarted my martial arts endeavors I found myself playing the games less and less. I was in Japan when the PS3 launched and actually bought one, but it was to send to an acquaintance in Australia though I did play it a bit to make sure it worked before sending it. I never really gave the PS3 much thought after that other than to drool at the images being released to hype up GT5. Well, as long-time (is a year a long time?) readers of this site know I was given a Playstation 3 about 13 months ago and it corresponded nicely to the release of Gran Turismo 5 and Call of Duty: Black Ops. My life has not been the same since. (I could probably do a whole post on my thoughts on MW3 but then I’m getting well away from Gunpla. heh)

But enough of the tangents! What I wanted to say was that I picked up the Zone of Enders video game on the day of release and fell in love with it as spectacle because it really showed what the Playstation 2 was capable of at the time. Created by the genius behind the Metal Gear Solid series, Hideo Kojima, Z.O.E. featured the same style of character design and giant fighting machines! The Jehuty is a fan favorite and even had a release as a Revoltech figure earlier this year which sold out almost immediately. When I saw it released as a plastic model kit from Kotobukiya, I jumped on it.

The manual even features some of the great illustrations used for the game. That takes me back.

The first thing you assemble when starting the Jehuty are the hip joints, which is a difference from Gundam kits where you usually build those last.

The hip joints actually have two articulations points, the first being the connector to the skirt and the other being at the top of the legs.

Next you move on to the legs using this interesting set up.

Close this up and then sandwich it into some more frame.

Then the first of the gray parts is used and it’s probably the largest part in the whole build; the upper leg.

You can see how the joint hooks in there.

Add a couple more pieces and..

Wait a minute…

They have to be assembled in this order?

I found assembling them according to the manual to be a bit cumbersome because the piece is so small and it’s difficult to get a firm grip on the section while you attempt to jam it in there.

See. That is small.

Now we get to hack away at the transparent blue effect runner.

The small pieces on this runner slip onto the piece used for the top of the lower leg.

Then get covered by more armor.

The back of the legs feature this sliding mechanism.

With that finished you move to the final step of the leg, which is putting the three sections together.

Slide the joint into the groove on the back of the lower leg.

Then secure it in place with the section for the rear of the leg.

But we’re not done.

There’s a couple of these that need to be assembled. Note the ball PC part.

That then goes on the leg and the hip joint also put in place.

Now for the skirt/waist

It looks like the legs will attach to the waist by these PC ball parts. I cringe at the thought while using a little tool I crafted from the PC runner to ensure the hollows of the balls are pointing in the right direction.

The rear part for the skirt has a small part inserted into it which is used to attach to the stand.

This was quite difficult to get into the proper position and makes me wonder why Kotobukiya went this route.

Gotta make this.

This is actually very small and uses seven pieces so that it can expand and contract.

Now some armor.

Then some more armor for the rear and that part that extends from the skirt front.

Phallic?

The side and rear of the waist is then adorned with these assemblies.

Now for the fun part. Yikes. The manual indicates you do this.

That looks easy enough. Just push the rod part of the hip joint on the leg into the hollow of the PC ball in the skirt.

Ya right.

It’s difficult to get a good grip on the leg in order to apply enough force to get the shaft in there. (giggity) If you grip too tightly you risk having the leg fall apart in your hands. On top of that, the ball just moves around when you start applying pressure until finally the whole skirt assembly just exploded in my hands. (giggity?)

So I opted to do it a bit differently.

I put the PC balls onto the hip pieces, slid them into place in the front skirt part (you can see the piece in the center that snapped off when it exploded), then pushed the rear skirt part into place.

And it worked.

Lower half of Jehuty complete.

Categories: Builds, Jehuty

1. HobbyOwYeah says:

I’ve been waiting for this kit! Thanks for the snapfit review!

2. Hypnos says:

The jehuty design is awesome, and it seems that this kit makes justice.
    are you planning on painting this kit?

3. Yuri Barbosa Ordeste says:

I was so tempted to get this kit, but when I saw the colors… Since I don’t paint anything, I opted to stay only with my revoltech, besides, my experience with kotobukiya weren’t the best… Some poor design choices, bad manuals, it’s a shame, since jehuty it’s one of my favorite designs ever =(

4. Mathias says:

interesting^^ looks very cool so far!
    the game is called zone of THE enders though, i also noticed you saying “zone of enders” on gunpla TV today^^

5. Dan says:

Looks good. Very detailed. I like.

6. Sonar says:

Love that design. What a cool mech. Is this making it to the To Be Painted pile?

I hadn’t planned on painting it as I already like the colors, but I do want to try and do something with the panel lines.

7. Dennis says:

I’d get this kit if it wasn’t made by Kotobukiya. I’ve had so many problems with loose parts and their manuels are crap. Turned me off to their kits completely.

8. CKai Cydek says:

While the detailing is fantastic (as it is with many Kotobukiya kits), the lack of paint apps in the armors’ line detail & the lack of equipment don’t seem to make the kit live up to the price. I will definitely get this when it goes on sale, though. Thanks so much for the coverage on the build, Syd. Now we know what to expect with the construction & it looks very engaging.

9. Yami says:

You played ZOE too syd? recently i played the first one and it is definitely a masterpiece at its time despite the game is abit short.

I really want to get the Jehuty kit as well but the panellining is the thing that puts me really off with this guy.

10. Ivan says:

Hi syd,

I have never bought a hobby model made by Kotobukiya, which I heard from others in the past was poor in making up the joints, symmetrical connections between pieces etc. How would you compare the quality control/assurance of theirs against Bandai’s? Thanks for your passionate sharing, and look forward to your reply.

If you’re used to Bandai kits then I can see how people would consider Kotobukiya a step down. A lot of what you experienced I have also experienced with Kotobukiya kits but I should mention in a lot of the newer Kotobukiya kits these issues aren’t so prevalent. If you have model experience then many issues aren’t going to be a problem and, using the Jehuty as an example, the kits look fantastic when done. I think many kit manufacturers get a bit of a bad rap because they are almost always compared to Bandai and Bandai just seems to be so far ahead of everyone else. You can basically divide model kits up into two categories; 1) Bandai, and 2)everyone else. But as they say, you never know for yourself unless you try.

• Ivan says:

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think I would get this because I have struggled for some time since the launch of Jehuty by Revoltech this year. No matter how advanced the technology for action figures have developed, I still prefer hobby model where my involvement in making it out remains the essence of the enjoyment.

I agree completely, Ivan. While the action figures look great you don’t get the same satisfaction as when you build something. That’s probably why I haven’t ventured into the realm of the Robot Damashii (even though I’ve been sorely tempted many times).

11. Ivan says:

Besides, the experience of making resin kits also cannot be compared with injection model kits. To me, making resin kits is like a disaster, ha ha. Enjoy sharing with you. Once again, thanks for your great post, and look forward to your new sharing.