Gaijin Gunpla

How long have I been working on this thing now? It feels like forever. Forever and a bit more because I know I still have a lot to do but the weather recently has not allowed me to do what needs to be done.

But there’s less than a month left, as shown here in this great video made by Kjasi over at GAF.

I am re-energized!

I managed to find a few moments of dry weather and so I painted and flat-coated the feet. So I won’t be looking at this any longer (even though it looks cool):

Now the feet look like this:

I put quite a lot of thought into what colour I should make the feet. I couldn’t use red because that would take away from the effect of the red circle that is the torso, while using white would make the kit look more like a square instead of a rectangle that is the shape of a flag. I finally chose to use some darker grays so the feet still match the rest of the kit but also are separate from the white when you look at it. At first I was unsure if I chose the right colors but the more I looked at it the more satisfied I became with the result.

In that picture do you notice how the parts of the backpack came out? That’s right. You don’t. Once I got the final red coat on I this is what I had.

Looking at the kit from the front at the angle I want it to be viewed at the red doesn’t look out of place at all.

Change the viewing angle and you can notice what has been done.

At first I thought I had ruined the effect of the torso with the red on the backpack parts and from certain angles it does look a little odd but I gotta stick with my gameplan and see the final result before I do anything rash. I can always get a couple more of those parts and paint them completely white if I feel the red ruins it from the front.

But from the back that red is a necessity.

It’s tricky getting the curvature of the red correctly. When I look at just one piece the curve looks very shallow and I wonder if it’s enough, however if I were to make the curve more pronounced it wouldn’t line up properly with the other parts that have been painted. Big picture. Big picture. Gotta keep the big picture in mind.

For now, it will stay as is. Well, aside from some clean up.

And I spent an hour the other night doing what others consider I do best; masking. Before I could do that however, I needed to be sure I knew where these parts would go after they were painted. They are all the same but due to some mistakes when painting the white some pieces are cleaner than others. The clean ones will stay as is while the not-so-clean ones will have red applied over top. To designate which piece belonged to which Dragoon I designated the Dragoons as 1,2,3, and 4 and then put those numbers on the underside of each piece.




This morning before I left for work I sprayed the Gray and from there I will apply the red to the few pieces that will require it.

28 days left… aaaiyeeeeeee!

Categories: Builds, Courage

10 Responses so far.

  1. Joe says:

    You got this, Syd, you’re in the home stretch! This is a great project, you should submit photos for review to some hobby mags when you’re done. Getting this out publicly in Japan will raise some spirits, I’m sure.

  2. fury-s12 says:

    i was wondering why you chose grey for the feet but now that youve pointed out why it makes perfect sense lol

  3. Dakaramor says:

    Carry on my wayward son
    There’ll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don’t you cry no more

  4. For the backpack parts, you could keep the needed red on the back and paint it all white on the front.

    • syd says:

      Yes, I already thought about that and I ordered some spare parts just in case. Won’t rush to fix it until I see the final result.

  5. Dennis says:

    GO… GO…. Gaijin… You can do it!!!!!

  6. lupes says:

    Man, it’s gonna be down to the wire! I think you might finish before me, I have to get some more decals for it!

  7. sonar says:

    Love that masking. Sometimes I think you might be a little nuts.

Leave a Reply