Note: Due to the outcome of a very recent hockey game I have found myself feeling a little uninspired. Fortunately, I have some older content waiting so there won’t be a lull on Gajin Gunpla as people wait for me to get back in the swing of things.

He looks lonely in this shot, which may be why I like it. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Mr. RG Zaku II feels this way. I mean, he came to me last November, however, I didn’t give him the attention he deserved and only recently, thanks mostly to the excellent RG Aile Strike, did I take notice of him again.

With some good weather this past weekend (editor’s note: make that two weekends ago) I sprayed the final flat top-coat and now he is ready to be shown to the world. Better late than never, but it should never have come to this. My apologies, Mr. Char. It won’t happen again. (hah!)

I was originally considering doing a review of this kit, but due to it being over six months old now, the expiry date on that kind of post is long gone. Instead I’ll talk about some things and then show some completed shots.

I like the Zaku design, probably more than the RX-78-2 designs, however there is something bothering me about his kit and I think it has to be the head. It seems to have too much space between the head and the neck and the photos always seem to exaggerate it.

One thing I love about this kit, and the RG line in general, is the panel lines. Despite it’s small size the armor has enough panel lines to occupy you for a while as you bring them out. The panel lines coupled with the different colored armor parts really make this thing look life-size and machine-like.

And for the most part the included stickers are great!

Except for (there’s always an exception, isn’t there?) the feet.

The flat sticker does not wrap around the contours of the armor despite my attempts at sticking it there, coating over it, using mark softer, even using a knife to cut it where the edge of the armor is. Bah!

As this was my first RG Zaku (and maybe my last), I opted to keep it OOB but I did add some color to the small rings found on the legs, and the thrusters on the backpack.

The weapons are well done as well, just like with the other two RGs.

It was an enjoyable experience, for sure, but perhaps if I had built it before the Aile Strike I would have enjoyed it more.

Categories: Builds, Char's Zaku II, RG

1. Tom says:

I don’t know Syd, that RG Green Zaku looks pretty nice (in my opinion).

2. Sir says:

Is it just me or does the head miss a piece? A little one for the “nose”
    Could be wrong though.

3. GNSquacker says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you placed the hosing around the head backwards Syd… as the square piece piece (now in the back) looks like the mouth. Zakus have a mini “snout”, and the cylinder in the front should go in the back.
    Can’t wait to dive back into Gunpla with the real grade line, been in quite the bog lately….

4. Johnny T says:

@GNSquacker and Syd: You did pick up on something. There is a small mini snout part that goes there and it seems like you’ve forgot to put it on or lost it syd. But yes there should be another part there that makes the mouth form.

What? Dammit! Thanks guys. I’m going to have to look into this. It’s possible it fell off when I was transporting it and didn’t notice when I took the pictures. How embarrassing.

5. krelik says:

nice, Hope you find that mouth piece thing! xD

6. Fernando Costa says:

It does look kinda cool though. Sort of like a biker’s moustache. Can’t say I love that Zaku snout.

7. Ryan says:

ordered this kit along with the rg RX-78-2 and the rg aile strike i am a beginner in gunpla but have built many car model kits and two gunpla kits before do you think I would be able to build these kits?

8. EagleBot says:

I really like this design and am looking at getting him. He would be my second gunpla model, after the HGUC Nemo, which I loved building and is awesome. I know you say that these RG kits are a lot but I tend to catch on to things quickly and didn’t have any issue building the nemo. What are your thoughts, should I go for it?

If you’re interested you should go for it. I would just advise to be careful when working with all the tiny circular piping parts. I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

9. EagleBot says:

I kind of want to topcoat mine but I am still confused on what exactly that is and how to do it. Any tips?

Pick up a can of top-coat either flat, semi-gloss, or gloss, disassemble your model either piece by piece or limb by limb, and then spray the top coat on to protect the paint or model.

10. Sedin says:

How does this stack up to the newest MG Zaku Char?

P.S. Is that hockey game the one the Canucks lost in SCF? .. 🙁

I think it looks better than the MG Char Zaku II but I think the MG is easier to assemble and more fun to play with.

I think the hockey game I was referring to in that post was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final against Boston a few years ago.

• Sedin says:

Thanks! I really can’t decide whether to collect in RG or MG. MG seems all over the place in terms of quality (some Ver Ka almost reach PG level, while other MG show their age).

Do you live in BC too?

I grew up on Vancouver Island and moved to Van when I was in my late 20s. Lived there for 10 years or so before moving to Japan.