There’s the banner for the PG Strike Freedom Group Build, known as The Gauntlet, which you can find on the Gundam Australia Forum. The one who concocted this scheme has decreed that we “must think of a noun by which your PGSF will be referred to.” Well, I have decided that my theme, and name, for the Strike Freedom will be…
Since the triple disasters that have hit Tohoku I have, it goes without saying, been thinking a lot about the people affected. I am only one guy, with a job and a family, so my ability to actually go out there and help people is severely limited, but I still felt I wanted to do something to show my support to those people hit hardest by this mess we all find ourselves in. So I decided I would make a Gundam for those people, if only to express my concern and support.
While I have in my mind pretty much exactly how I want this kit to look and what I want it to do, I will not write about it yet because I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. I also want people viewing the completed kit for the first time to feel something upon seeing it, and I think if I give out too much information at the beginning in some way viewers would be robbed slightly of the effect I am trying to get across. I will however write about what I am doing at a particular time.
For example, I’ve already started detailing some frame pieces. I’ve mentioned already how I feel about some of the gold color Bandai has used, even going so far as to dub it the ‘lame’ gold. Well, my first step on customizing this kit is to take care of that and for that purpose I picked up a couple cans of Tamiya Gold spray. To see how it would look I tested it on some ‘lame’ runner.
Lame gold runner:
Lame gold runner after spraying with Tamiya Gold:
It’s hard to tell from this picture, but the Tamiya gold actually comes out looking a lot like the darker gold frame pieces which I really like. Win!
When I test built the kit I left one half unarmored, not only to show what is going on underneath but also as a way to easily see what sections of the frame need attention. The plan was, and still is, to work on one half of the frame at a time. So, right now, I have one leg unassembled and am comparing it to the assembled and armor leg to know exactly what I need to do. Once one leg is finished I will disassemble the other and repeat the process. I have disassembled half of the entire kit and divided them up into sections.
And while I did so the box was commandeered by the cat.
Here you can see the pieces of the leg frame which have some lame gold that shows. These will be painted, but because I don’t need to paint the entire thing, I have marked what needs to be painted over.
I also spent the last couple of days working on the frame for the skirt armor, as well as the large rifles that attach to the skirt. First I sprayed them with Gloss Aluminum.
Then I sprayed them with the Tamiya Gold. Because of the gloss aluminum underneath the Tamiya Gold came out lighter than normal, almost the same color as the coated parts from Bandai. I am pleased.
Then I carefully removed the masking tape and…
…forgot to take a picture of the skirt frame pieces. That’s for next time!