February felt like a plamo barrage. Not only was I trying to get the Perfect Grade Strike Freedom assembled in preparations for filming, but I also go into the middle of the Macross Tornado Messiah (which I am liking very much, by the way).  I did manage to finish a few projects which I’ll highlight in this post.  As usual with the Work Table posts I’ll get you up to date on what I’ve been doing and throw a lot of hyperlinks your way so get those mouse fingers ready.

No longer on the Work Table
MG ReZEL

Yes, my participation in the building part of the Gundam Australia Forum ReZEL Group Build Project has come to a close but the thread is still going on as more people are hopping on board.  If you’ve got a ReZEL, or a ReZEL Commander, why not join in?

If you want to follow my Iron Man ReZEL build from start to finish click here.

Also finished this month:

MG Sword Impulse

I love this kit!  Even as an OOB build this thing is amazing.  It now sits at the forefront of my Gunpla army on my desk at work and each time I see it that sense of joy arises. Even with only gundam marker panel lines and water-slides (and a flat top coat), it’s one sexy machine! To see more of the Sword Impulse (trust me, you do want to see more) here’s the WIP and the Gallery.  Love it!

And also finished at the end of February, although the gallery hasn’t been done yet, is…

HGFC Nobell Gundam

Like I did with the G Gundam I used some of my leftover MG Victory Ver. Ka decals (you want to click that link, trust me) on the Nobell to break up the solid colors and just plain old make it look better. You’ll have to check out the gallery once it’s up to see if I did succeed.

Three kits done in February.. that’s actually pretty good!  But I’ve still got stuff on the go, so now let’s look at the projects that are currently On the Work Table.

PG Strike Freedom Gundam

This isn’t the most current photo of the build but it’s good enough for now.  I’ve got the entire frame save the dragoons built and half the kit armored and I’ve also finished the rifle(s).  It’s one sexy kit and I can now say to everyone that this kit will definitely be painted.  I just can’t leave it as OOB.  It’s a Perfect Grade so it must be perfect (well, as close as I can and choose to get to perfection anyway.)  It’s going to be a long process and the customizing will start after we finish the last episode for Gunpla TV, but stay tuned for some PG SF S2 goodness.

Along with the PG I’ve got the MG-plus type Macross kit.
1/72 VF-25F Tornado Messiah Valkyrie Alto Custom

I’ve got two legs, something like a torso, and a head finished. I anticipate that I’ll have this thing built within the month but the decals may be a different story. So far it is great but I’ll have to wait until it’s completely assembled and I can play around with it before giving my final thoughts. You can follow my progress here.

Also (in a box) on the work table is a kit I just finished building, the

HG Extreme Gundam

It’s a good kit. Maybe not as Extreme as the name suggest but it’s good. I’ll have the second part of the build posted as well as a review up soon.  I will be playing around with it and adding some mods but haven’t finalized my design for it.  It will become one of those projects I fiddle around with while getting burned out on other projects.

Under the Work Table – Got it. Haven’t started.

1/144 RG MS-06S Char’s Zaku II

Poor RG Zaku. It looks like you’ve been pushed aside again.  To be honest, though, working on a Macross kit and Perfect Grade kit simultaneously requires a lot of attention and to start a Real Grade at the same time may stretch me past my limits.  Don’t worry. Your time will come.

And now I can announce the winner of The Poll!  Garnering just over 50% of the votes is the:
MG RX-178 Mk-II Barzam Conversion

Once the Macross kit is done I’ll be starting the building on this guy. I’ve never done a conversion kit before so I know I will need some time to carefully go over the process.  Thanks to everyone who voted! I’ll try to do you proud.

The kits that did not win the poll:
MG Force Impulse
MG V Dash
MG Zaku Cannon
will be put aside until some time in the future.

Coming to the Work Table – Things I want!

What else will be making an appearance on my Work Table.  Well, there’s not a lot in the way of kits I want to build. I was tempted by the MG Deathscythe Hell but truth be told, I already built the Deathscythe and while I think the kit looks great the build wasn’t as stellar as I had expected.  That said I did enjoy the Wing a lot so I have high hopes for the upcoming MG Wing Gundam EW Version so I’ll be looking at that.  I was also intrigued by what I saw of the 1/35 U.C. Hard Graph Core Fighter so don’t be surprised if that ends up here.

One kit that is definitely going to be in my sweaty hands the day it arrives is the Real Grade Aile Strike.  The prototype pics that are appearing in the hobby magazines here look amazing and if this guy is anything like the two RGs before it then I cannot not have it.

How about you?

1. Busterbeam says:

i agree. rg strike does look really good and i have high expectations for it. the molding looks great. oddly… im also quite interested in the hard graph core fighter. building the ver.2 frame core fighter really gave me a new appreciation for it. id love to do a bigger / better proportioned version. ive been looking at getting into ‘fighters’ more. might be a good place to start.

2. sonar says:

Strike Freedom is coming along nicely mate. Looking forward to your next update 😉

3. Tom says:

I also want that RG Aile Strike. The Core Fighter is also very tempting. I would like to see Bandai release other Core Fighters from other Gundam series.

4. Krelik says:

hmmmm. poor qubeley. he looks like he will be sitting aside for awhile? but man. you must be buusssyyyyyyyy syd, with getting like. 3 kits built in a month XD (thats quite some time for me)

5. Priza says:

The core fighter and the RG Aile Strike is quite tempting,but I decided I’m going to save it to buy the MG Epyon,there’s no release date yet,but I’ll definitely wait for it.It is a must for Wing fans

6. Dennis says:

Well I have lots to build too and of course I want more. Of the kits I’ve seen so far the one I want is the Aile Strike most. The others that I’d like to get (so far) are the MG 00 Raiser; MG Epyon; MG Deathscythe Hell EW and HG Extreme Gundam. With all the Endless Waltz kits coming out would an MG Nataku be too much to ask for?

7. Sunny says:

Kits to get : RG Zaku, + Aile Strike ( my hobby shop ran out of the Zaku like hot cakes, need to wait till half March before new stock comes. Yes, living in the boondocks is crap).
    Kits on the bench, SD Super gundam, HG00-66 Qan[T].
    Still need to get a decent camera so i can post some of the finished kits on HLJ. HG Strike Noir, SD godgundam + SD wing gundam custom twinpack, with extra decals, those sets are really nice tbh. Then ofc there is the HG GBP Hi NU gundam, which is painted and lined, but i still want to find a way of getting extra funnels for it.

8. Sunny says:

Syd, just a quick question, which blue do you use for your gundams ? I like the color from the gundam marker, but I can’t seem to find something similar in the tamiya colors.

Hi Sunny,

You’re right about not finding something similar with Tamiya. For that you will need to use Mr. Hobby #5 Blue.

9. QantaRaiser says:

Hi i’m new to replying but i’v been reading your blog for about an month and i finally have a question. I was thinking of modifying a HG Qan [t] and wanted to know what you think would be the best way to attach 00’s solar furnaces would be and to make it so it can hold a XN raiser, i want it to retain the ability to have both the GN shield and GN sword IV full saber but to also have the 00’s solar furnaces. should i use pin vices and plastic cement or is there a better way?

Welcome to the site and thanks for commenting. You have a good question! Looks like you’ve got some full-blown kit-bashing going on. You could use backpack and appropriate solar furnaces and parts from the 00 which would allow the Raiser to be attached, then you’ll need to come up with a way to get the GN sword/shield to stay in place, perhaps by creating some kind of swing arm that can be inserted into the top of the backpack to hold the Shield and easily removed when you don’t need the shield attached. Hmm.

or.. you could modify the solar furnace section making it able to hold the GN Shield, etc. Anyone else?

• QantaRaiser says:

yeah well i’m just trying to start painting/modding so I won’t be doing this for a while, but i figure i may as well find out what skills i need, and the hole idea is to make a heavy full armor version of the qan[t], similar to the heavy full armor 7th gundam, by using a XN raiser, 7 sword 00 and the GN sword IV and maybe some other parts, need to find something to baulk up the legs with, maybe avalanche exia dash’s leg boosters.

• Sunny says:

UHM HMM, i think that swing arm could work, just drill a hole in the backpack of the furnaces, add a spare polycap that could hold the arm, and maybe use some pla-plate to make a extension mechanism for the swing arm. So u can retract it while on the back and when you wanna swing it out you just extend it past the furnace, and adjust it to your needs. Although I don’t have the 00 raiser with furnaces so I don’t really know if there is enough room to do that.