My first real exposure to the MG Shenlong was when I happened to see it in Yodabashi Camera while exploring Akihabara with ASM.

At that time I wasn’t sure what to make of it. On the one hand, these EW designs are starting to appeal to me more and more but on the other sometimes they just look a little too toylike.

When I could get my hands on it and actually look through the box and manual I decided that this was an MG for me. (Of course it’s for me, it’s an MG!)

I’m loving the box art on these recent EW kits and the Shenlong is no exception. It doesn’t look toylike here.

This is one of the smaller boxed MG’s so there’s not a lot in the way of contents but that doesn’t bother me.

Beam trident! Um.. not sure how this thing works exactly. If it’s a beam, how does it take this trident shape?

Manual:

So much great new gundam coming out and I lack the time and electricity to light the lamps in my room in which I build them. Sigh.

Categories: Builds, MG, Shenlong

1. the13thprince says:

hope they release the ENDLESS WALTZ Custom designs from the 90’s 1/100 HG line to the MG versions, I already have the MG Wing Zero Custom and the MG Deathscythe Hell Custom and I’m waiting for the other 3 custom variants… hopefully Bandai will also release a TALLGEEZE III MG…

2. Tom says:

Does this men you won’t be buying their endless waltz version?

3. Dennis says:

Now that the Shelong is out, Nataku should be out within a afew month considering they’re pretty much the same except afew parts differences. Hopefully so, as that’s about what the timeframe is between Deathscythe and Deathscythe Hell EW. I cannot wait until Epion comes out in June, looking forward to that so much. I just ordered the Deathscythe Hell EW and the B-Club hands for my next MG project. Maybe we’ll get hand kits for all the EW kits from B-Club. Also, I agree with 13th Prince that the Talgeese needs to come out ASAP.

4. QantaRaiser says:

nice looking kit, but its an EW version? i can’t even see a difference save for the dragon arm, and thats a maybe, but it looks really cool and i can’t wait to see what you do with it. also, Dennis i’m assuming you mean Altron, because Nataku was what Wufai called both Shenlong and Altron.

That’s a good question. Is this the EW version? I’m gonna have to look into this.

• QantaRaiser says:

i also just noticed that the shield is on his arm and not attached to the shoulder, like it was originally and after looking at the dragon arm more carefully its folded up different, it use to just fold back at the wrist, but it almost has a case now attached to the shoulder, funny that they only changed the weapons and not the body, but i think it is EW version.

• Zeta Newtype says:

This is the EW version, because this is the Katoki designed version, the difference isn’t as apparent as the others are, just like the Heavyarms. For looks at the others, go here! http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/katoki/index.htm

5. Zeta Newtype says:

I’m trying to tell myself that getting the Deathscythe EW and the TV version of the Wing Gundam was enough…..but damnit, I want this, Deathscythe Hell, and the upcoming Epyon….and surely Heavyarms….ah hell!

6. Krelik says:

It uses an I field to take its shape (beam Trident)

• QantaRaiser says:

i don’t think AC has I fields, plus an I field would keep it from cutting anything, but maybe i’m reading into it to much.

• Deikun says:

I fields are actually normally used contain the plasma of beam sabers, and magnetic fields are used to contain the I field. And I think perhaps it’s possible to shape the magnetic field in three general directions, making a trident shape (like how it looks on the manual cover). The snazzy shape is just for effect, I’m sure. I may or may not have done some research on the matter of Minovsky particle physics… ^^; (and yes, I’m almost positive the Gundam Wing ‘After Colony’ time line still uses Minovsky physics. The OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate uses a “Minovsky Particle Accelerator” for it’s beam cannon.)

You guys are talking way over my head here. I like Gunpla.

• QantaRaiser says:

hmm interesting facts, and i guess i stand corrected.

• ClayCannonII says:

It actually is much simpler than that. The tip just has three beam ports where three beams come out and form a trident shape. Like how Deathscythe Hell (anime version) has two beam scythes.

7. QantaRaiser says:

man theres so many kits i want right now, but i want to get better at it first so that they look as good as possible, thinking of buying an Arios 1/144 to try painting and top coating, then maybe i’ll get around to doing my EW Wing Gundam that i’ve been putting off.

8. GT3Hero says:

Hello Syd! First of all I want to say that I hope you, your family, coworkers and everyone over there are all doing fine. Secondly I really enjoy your work! I’m trying to read your blog entries and other peoples comments so I can learn because I’m new to this. Well not really because I have a couple HG 1/100 G Wing model kits I bought a loooong time ago. I have it built but thats pretty much it. I want to paint it now and make it look better. And I really like the G Wing series and I want to collect them all if possible. Shenlong Gundam is one of my favorites and I plan to purchase one soon. But I’ve never painted a kit before and its been years since I’ve made one so I’m very nervous I’ll break it or not do a good job at it. But I’m gonna just get in there and do it and see what happens. I don’t have an airbrush so I’m gonna do it the way you do it using spray cans. I do live in the Pacific NW, Portland OR to be exact. And as you probably know…it rains here….ALL THE TIME!!! LOL! I’ve read some of your blog entries and it said that you don’t paint when its raining outside. Is it because the paint behaves differently when its raining? How about if I’m in a covered area like the garage, will that matter? Or does humidity play a factor when you’re spray painting? Do I just need to wait until summer to start doing gunpla coz I’m really itching to do one now. It would be great to hear your thoughts. And again, stay safe and keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

Hi GT3Hero,

Thanks for your comment. Is it raining now over there? Oregon is a beautiful place. I’ve been there only once but loved it. Maybe because it wasn’t raining that day.

Spray cans behave differently in the rain, especially very rainy days. If there’s a lot of moisture in the air the spray actually gets somewhat heavier and doesn’t cover as well. At least this is my experience. I have sprayed on days with only slight rain and got by, however I should say this (again) for everyone’s benefit: Don’t topcoat when it’s raining or there’s a lot of moisture in the air! Don’t learn the hard way like I did.

Let me know how it goes!

• QantaRaiser says:

on that note i want to ask, does temperature affect spray cans? i just bought some sandpaper, gundam markers, spray cans, top coat, and a 1/144 arios, and plan to do a thorough job and try painting for the first time myself. but its rather cold right now (dang temperamental spring weather) so how big of an effect does that have on the spray paint and top coat?

• GT3Hero says:

Thanks for the quick response and yes….its raining over here. It never stops raining here. LOL! But its paradise when its not raining though. Thanks for your advise. I’ll just have to wait when the suns out which does happen occasionally. LOL! I look forward to your next entry and I’ll let you know what happens when I do get a chance to try spray painting.