It’s been a few weeks now since I built this section of the Macross kit and took pictures. I was intending to write this post on March 12th but, well, I guess everyone knows now what happened. I don’t want to skip any parts of a build so I am making this post now. It will be mostly pics though as I don’t feel I have the time or energy to focus on writing a lot of detailed text.
If you’ve been following along with this build you know I have most of the individual sections completed, and now (or then, rather.. two weeks ago) I was at the stage where I connect everything together.
These sections are pretty important for this kit and its transformation and it seems pretty straightforward when you look at the manual.
Easy right? Sure, it is. Just get out the metal rods and connect everything…
then throw on this large piece
followed by a couple of other pieces
I realize I am not being very descriptive here but there is one thing I feel I need to say. The Macross kits seem to use a lot of pieces made from somewhat flexible plastic. This is both a blessing and a curse. Because they are flexible it allows you to apply a fair bit of force when it comes to moving the parts through the transformation sequence, however, due to this flexibility they often seem to come loose for no reason at all. As I was trying to assemble this section with it seemed I would get one part of the thing together only to have something pop off somewhere else.
But once you do get that part together you move on to the wings and use more metal rod.
And then you have something that looks like this:
And then you add the wings. Sure, no problem.
And the smaller wings.
Problem. When I was assembling this section I questioned why the manual had me do it in this order. Why put this complicated, transformable, easy-to-fall-apart section together and then add these small pieces to it. When I tried it I found it difficult to hold the kit as I put in the tiny metal rod. Why not put the small wings on first, then add it to the main kit? I actually had to go ahead and do that as I couldn’t seem to hold the main kit securely at a good angle which would allow me to insert the metal rods.
Once done though, you have something that looks like something.
Although this is a pretty short post up to this point, I want to point out that because of the difficulties working with this kit this took the better part of an hour. I even took an hour break and relaxed before continuing.
Once back at it the rest of it went by quickly, most likely because I was using bigger pieces that weren’t really involved in the transformation part of the design.
It’s a transforming kit with hundreds of parts but Bandai gives you a sticker for this instead of a separate part? Really? Lame!
The view from above:
Looking at it from the underside you can see arms folded up underneath. There are actually grooves into which a part of the arm will click into place, however getting them to line up properly is another difficult aspect of the build.
Once they are in you can keep them together by snapping in this pair of hands. yes, it’s molded as one piece.
From there you assemble what will be used as a shield when the mecha is in Battroid mode.
But it slides into place on the hands underneath the kit. You can see the groove it slides behind.
Next add the legs.
Just like the arms there are grooves and hollows that should click into place to keep things in position but, just like the arms again, it isn’t easy to do so.
With the mecha mostly done what’s left is to put some small plastic armor pieces which cover up the joint mechanisms.
These seem to fit into place without too much problem.
not so much. This is the best I could manage to line them up. If I move them even the slightest in any direction they will pop off. I understand why the design is this way but it still is an eyesore to me. I guess I’m a bit of a perfectionist.
But the main kit is essentially done. The next part is to work on the weapons and additions. Hopefully it doesn’t take me another two weeks to get that post up.