Back to work on my first ever Macross kit and so far so good. Once again I took out the runners I would need to use.
Including this runner:
This picture doesn’t show it well but it’s actually an olive-drab kind of color. I like Olive Drab. I really, really like Olive Drab.
One half of the runner is used for this assembly:
While the other half, not surprisingly, is used the same way.
Next I assembled some kind of joint.
With that joint I then put together another kind of assembly. My apologies for being vague but I don’t know what these are yet.
That small assembly coupled with the olive drab pieces gives me this… thing.
I actually didn’t quite snap this thing together properly at first which is why there is a noticeable gap between the two olive drab pieces. Don’t worry, though, I went back and fixed it.
That gets put to the side in favor of working on a new sub-assembly which features some unique movable parts.
You can see the movable pieces on each end when you’re finished this section. There’s a lot of bending going on, but that should be the case when you consider it transforms from battroid to gerwalk to fighter.
With that done I get to start applying the armor pieces.
(Yes. I see that nub. I’ll take care of it, don’t you worry.)
Using a long slender piece on either side, attaching to each sub-assembly…
It does look like a fish, or fish skeleton, I should say.
Now to the grey colored runner! (why does that feel exciting?)
Interestingly, this one large piece has a hollow into which this small piece fits leaving me to wonder why it was molded as two pieces to begin with.
Add that to my fish skeleton.
From there add a couple of armor pieces, one of which has a small amount of motion.
And a couple of big armor pieces later and voila! (voila is french for “look at my giant robot piece!”)
The last part of this build is actually putting on this very small ball joint.
Once all that is done here is what you have made.
It’s a leg! Eureka!
Then the manual has you go through the process a second time.
While different from any Gundam model kit I have assembled up to this point it definitely has the same feel when it comes to assembling a Macross kit. With the legs completed and out of the way I am starting to feel I am making some progress, probably due to having something tangible to look at as I continue to move forward. I haven’t even looked ahead in the manual so I don’t know what the next step will be but I am looking forward to it.