Now that the final video of this guy is done for GunplaTV I can show some sneak peak shots on my blog before I get this baby finished.  All that’s left to do is some decal work, although not much, and painting the rifle, with some shield touch up.  Hopefully I can get these done this weekend and have something in the gallery soon.   But for now, these shots will have to do.

Love this kit!

Categories: Builds, HG, Sinanju

1. Dennis says:

Wow, this is awesome, gives me ideas on what to do mine; when I get one. Great job and so much more interesting with the silver base and clear red then the normal Sinanju color. Whose red did you use and did you use spray cans or airbrush? The golds lighter then what I normally use, it adds a nice contrast. Yet another awesome piece. Way to go Syd!!!!!

2. sonar says:

That red came up beautifully! I can see a couple nub marks though 🙂 Must have been steady work painting the gold. Nice job.

I know. I know. There indeed be some nub marks. This was built for Gunpla TV so I couldn’t take my time and go through the build as I normally would. I had to build it, work on some pieces, but only work halfway on others so we could show the process on Gunpla TV. I still think it’s beautiful. 😉

3. Tom says:

Silver for the thrusters? Interesting choices. Are you trying to make it like the titanium version MG?

I usually paint my thrusters a silver. Seems more like a machine to me that way. Maybe I should be using a Gloss Aluminum.

• Dennis says:

Try Tamiya light gunmetal on yout thrusters next time with a flat black wash, looks very realistic.

• Srihari Tc says:

I would use gun metal for the thrusters, mask of the outsides and paint the insides pale gold, then do some burns and other exhaust stains w/ my airbrush. btw i would also paint all those energy cables and “frame” parts gun metal, it looks odd to have the rest of the kit beuatifully finished but to have a feww sections and raw, nub mark riddled frame parts, hands and energy cables. 😀

4. PhantomPain says:

The finish on the red is great, but i have to say that the gold trim is somewhat shabby… The copic marker method is easy but the result it produces is just not as good as tedious masking 😛
    Just my 2 cents tho

Hi Phantom,

I will agree with you but would like to point out that this was done for Gunpla TV and for the sake of filming I needed to make things easy to see which meant I had to exaggerate the method. I normally would be very careful applying the gold so the black marker would be just simple touch up.

5. Samshio says:

Looks great, love the red. Just Tamiya Clear Red? hmmm I will try this
    I haven’t gotten a Sinanju before nor have I really looked at it but I think I am intrigued to order one once my money stockpile is back lol

6. Sunny says:

syd, for the gold i personaly would choose mr hobby no 9, it gives a nicer finish I think. I love this clear red over silver tough, never would have thought it up myself. I use Tamiya gunmetal for most of my innerframe and machine parts, you could give that a try.

7. sonar says:

I agree it is beautiful. The tone of the red seems to give the surfaces a lot of depth, for want of a better word. Nub marks aside the paint work is near immaculate and one of the nicest paint jobs I’ve seen from you. I’d love to see you able to devote the sort of time you want to these kits. Churning them out is all good but I kinda miss the immense quality of your earlier work a bit. I suppose things have changed a bit since those days. That said, this is a lovely build and I’m positive it will look stunning once you have given it your first class decal treatment.

Hi Sonar,

You bring up a good point. I think perhaps I need to be clear on the difference between the kits I build for myself and the kits I need to build for Gunpla TV. Due to the nature of Gunpla TV I can’t devote the time and attention I would like to each kit I build for it, another aspect to consider is that the kits are built to show a specific thing. Kits I am building for personal enjoyment get a lot more attention, for example the Musha MkII and my upcoming RG Real Type Color. The HG Sinanju falls somewhere in between I think. I built it for Gunpla TV but still wanted it to be way cool. 😉

8. Priza says:

Nice one…first time I saw this I thought this is a Titanium finish MG Sinanju. The red really gives a depth when you look at it.Can’t believe that Tamiya Clear Red will give such a wonderful color while the silver for the thrusters really gives a shine to the kit.What enamel paint did you use for the gold trim?it looks bright,maybe I’m gonna use it for my future projects.

9. Joe says:

Would that be PS-37 Translucent Red?

10. sonar says:

Cheers mate. Point taken 🙂

11. CKai Cydek says:

This paint job looks really great. Making the yellow parts silver is nice, as it goes with the silver thrusters.

I would make the gold more pronouced, though. Syd, what would you recommend as the most yellowy kind of gold paint Tamiya has? I have a bottle of Gold Leaf, but I’m looking for something more vibrant and more saturated.

Hi Ckai Cydek,

Sorry for the late reply. Things have become busy and I’ve let some stuff get away from me recently. The most yellowy-gold Tamiya? I have only seen the Gold Leaf and Titanium Gold so if there’s another Tamiya gold enamel I have not come across it. Tamiya does have a couple of different golds in spray can form.

• CKai Cydek says:

Thanks for the reply! I’ll check out the sprays, but I was hoping for something to hand-paint with since the thrusters on the HG Sinanju are so tiny and frankly for me, masking is a pain in the ass. That would be the part about modeling I like the least. I can’t argue with the results, though.

12. Edmond says:

Hi Syd,

Love the Gunpla TV. May I ask if you know it will work if I use arcylic paint for the silver and clear red to achieve the same effect please? I am just thinking about the thinner in the clear red layer might “defuse” the initial silver layer. Or would you recommed only using enamel paint please? Thanks.

Well, the silver and clear red I used were Lacquer, but if you use the same type of paints it shouldn’t be a problem providing you don’t over thin it. Then again, I have no experience with airbrushes. (yet).

13. Srihari says:

Syd- Would a lacquer clear coat attack acrylic paint?

I have seen charts that show that acrylic or enamel over lacquer is fine but lacquer over top of of acrylic is not as safe. However, when I lacquer top-coat then enamel panel line I have put lacquer top coat on again without problem. so far.