The Beginning Gundam is all painted and waiting for the final step. This pesky hand.
As you can see Bandai chose to mold it as one piece rather than have you assemble it. I actually think this was a bad move by Bandai particularly when you look at the box art and it’s clearly not the same color and the pictures in the manual are of a painted hand and not the stock one Bandai provided.
So, I thought I would try to paint it, but rather than mask meticulously, which I have been known to do, I decided to modify it.
The first step was to pick up an extra part.
Rather than send away to Bandai for the part as I usually do I took advantage of a recent trip to Akihabara with A.S.M. and stopped at a hobby shop near Asobit City where they sell spare parts. Spare parts for new kits at that! They break down a new kit into sections such as torso, arms, legs, shields, etc., and sell them bagged up for really cheap. This set of Beam Sabers for the Beginning Gundam cost me only 300 yen. And I got an extra shield and extra gun!
This is the part I will be working on.
It is the piece that attaches to the inside of the shield to look like there are three beam sabers hidden there. I just need to separate it into the three individual sabers. So I get my tools.
First step is to grab my scriber saw and cut them apart.
Once apart I use the hobby knife to clean them up.
That was the easy part. Actually, this next part was easy, too.
I just used my side cutters to cut the beam saber away from the handle. After that it became difficult. I had to use my scriber saw, side cutters, and design knife to cut away the parts of the molded hand that were the beam saber handlesth. As this is molded as one piece I had to be careful otherwise I would cut one of this guy’s fingers right off.
After I had cut away as much plastic as I dared I took a file and filed down some of the rougher edges, before priming it so I can paint.
To attach the beam sabers to their new handles I took my 1.5 mm rod and drilled holes into both the sabers and the handles, then cut a short piece of rod and used that to hold them together.
The test fit indicates they should be alright.
After the saber handles and hand are painted I will have to devise a way to get them to stay together. This part may be tricky. I may have to remove some paint, glue the ends of the handles together then perhaps use some more rod to hold them in place. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it, though.