Gaijin Gunpla


The last holiday in the golden week saw me sitting down with the waterslide decal sheet and some Mr. Marksoft. Holy crap there are a lot of decals on the F91! I started with the weapons first and then proceeded to the armour.
The weapons didn’t turn out so bad. (just wait…)

I then proceeded to decal the armour and when that was complete (it took hours!) I started to add the metal rivets.

Here’s the skirt complete with rivets and featuring my added plastic for detail!

Here’s the body unit.
Here are the arms.
And here are what might possibly be my pride and joy from this project. The legs complete with my own panel lines and rivots.
When I finished the weapons and feet first, I set them up and took them outside for a flat top coating. However, because I am still a rookie, I made another rookie mistake and sprayed despite it raining outside. The cooler weather and humidity caused the flat coat to frost and turn large portions of one of the feet and the weapons white!

I panicked.

I took them back inside and used my knife to scrape away the frost but in the process took away too much paint and primer was showing through in some places. So I hand painted over top of that. The foot is salvageable but one of the weapons was a disaster.

Then I had an idea.

I took the weapons apart and switched the problem pieces around so that now the mess is on the inside where it is less likely to be seen.

I am sure a good camera will be able to pick it up though. 🙁

Categories: Builds, F91, MG

One Response so far.

  1. OJ says:

    I have had the same issue with frosting once before and I was told that a clear gloss coat can sometimes fix the issue. Worked for me, so may be worth a try.

Leave a Reply