With the painting part finished, the next step is the panel lining. But before panel lining and decaling one must apply a gloss top-coat to protect your paint. A gloss top coat also allows you to remove any mistakes with your panel line/decal easily.

I decided I wanted to try a panel wash on this model. To panel wash I took out my black enamel and enamel thinner and mixed them together to get the black a consistency of water. Very runny. Then by taking my brush and touching it to the panel line, the enamel mixture flowed through the creases. Afterward I just took a cotton swab dabbed in enamel thinner to remove the extra run-off.
On the silver on the feet you can see the black circles. This is the result of my panel wash. You can also see my grey panel wash that didn’t turn out as well as the black.

Here you can see the black lines on the shoulers. You can also see the decals.

Categories: Builds, MG, Zaku Minelayer

1. Arif says:

Is it possible to do a panel wash on an unpainted piece? Will I still need a gloss layer underneath?

You can do a panel wash on an unpainted piece, without a gloss layer. The gloss layer helps the wash run but is mostly for protecting paint underneath.

• Arif says:

Cool, thanks. Do you think it would be a good idea to wash the runners with soapy water before panel washing?

I don’t think it will make much different, to be honest. Some people insist that you need to wash the plastic before applying paint, but I really haven’t encountered a problem when I haven’t.

• Dennis says:

Same here, I’ve never had an issue with priming plastic without washing it first.

2. CMO says:

Hey feollow Gunplars,

Is it neccessary to prime the pieces before painting? Or is it only needed when changing colors? For example, if I were to purchase a Sinanju and want to change it to a metallic blue, would priming be absolutely neccessary for that type of project? What about same colors?

Thanks alot guys!

• Dennis says:

Not completely necessary except when going to a lighter color if you wash the model proper.ly. I myserlf prime every model because I find paint sticks to it better then regular plastic. Also, I’ve noticed that primer sticks to plastic better then most normal paints.